Tuesday, August 10, 2010

L'amour et la Ville: Venice

As I've said in my very first post, I am a girl who loves, loves, loves to travel. I have an ever growing list of countries I want to visit, and literally any chance I get to hop on a plane and fly far from LA, I take. So once in a while, I'll put up posts about some of my favorite cities, with my own personal photos and experiences. For today, I wanted to do a little bit of a city guide to a stunning city: Venice, Italy. Use this guide to take on all the must-sees and must-dos of Venice, even if you have as little as a day to spend there! Click below to read more...



1. Piazza San Marco (St. Mark's Square): Pretty much the main square of Venice, and definitely a must. Here you will see the beautiful clocktower -- try to be around when the bells go off (which would be at every hour); pay close attention to the top of the tower and you'll notice the two statues moving their bronze arms to strike the bell. The clock itself is beautiful, with its gold and blue exterior, showing off both the time and the position of the sun in zodiac. Also in Piazza San Marco: Caffè Florian, Italy's oldest café. Enjoy a cappuccino at this elegant and ritzy café, where the orchestra plays softly in the background and the handsome waiters serve in crisp white suits (warning: it will be a bit of a splurge, so for some, looking on as a passerby is equally pleasing).

2. Gondola Ride: Another must. Sit back and see Venice in what is possibly the most relaxing way ever. Although gondola rides don't run cheap, especially if you are alone or with one other person, I would say they are well worth it -- how many times are you in Venice, right? You will get a better rate as part of a group of four or five, as the price of the gondola (generally around 60-70 euros) is split in four or five (obviously). But, in my honest opinion, it is well worth it. An incredible experience and a breathtaking way to see the city!

 3. Get lost: Yes, you read that correctly. I DID just advise you to get lost in a foreign city. In Venice especially, we found that is not at all hard to do -- the narrow little streets are almost like a labyrinth, and it's so easy to forget which passageways led you to where you ended up. Embrace it. Take your sweet time strolling through the beautiful streets, window shopping, going into hole-in-the-wall eateries where all the locals gather for lunch. Because, despite what I said earlier, you will never REALLY be lost in Venice. You will eventually find your way back to the crowded Piazza San Marco and/or the Grand Canal. But before you do, truly get to know Venice... feel her heartbeat, get a real taste of her intrigue. You'll never know what you'll find with a little spontaneous exploring. 

So there you have it, lovely readers. Thoughts? Comments? As always, I'd love to read them! xo

Don't forget to follow me on TWITTER & BLOGLOVIN :]

images via yours truly!

3 comments:

Cafe Fashionista said...

How can anyone possibly resist Venice. The cobblestoned pathways, the history, the shopping...absolute perfection! You look gorgeous!! :)

Abi said...

It is the most beautiful city I hear...so romantic. These are good recommendations. I plan on visiting next year, and will be sure to keep these in mind!

You look cute by the way.

http://stylebouquet.blogspot.com/

Denisa L said...

would love to visit Venice:)
maybe next summer:(